Hmong Reverse Embroidery Classes
Learn how to reverse embroider with your Hmong teacher, Bai Ly, who learned to sew when she was just four years old. Bai Ly will guide participants to create their own hand-embroidered creation using the traditional Hmong reverse technique.
Patterns in Hmong embroidery generally relate to nature and family, and in this workshop you will also learn more about Hmong handicraft and cultural traditions.
Classes are on demand and based on the availability of our teacher.
Duration: 2 hours, afternoons 3pm, approx. 1.5-2 hours.
Cost: $20 per person, based on minimum 2 persons.
One person $28.
Where: Ma Té Sai shop, Ban Aphai, Luang Prabang
Includes: all materials, piece to take home with threads and needle to complete in own time; Hmong sewing teacher and English-speaking assistant; refreshments and snacks
Spinning and Weaving Classes
Enjoy a day going at your own pace, spinning and weaving cotton, with Lao designer Tadam and her team. Set in a beautiful garden, inside Tadam's gallery, you will be inspired by her creativity and colours, and be able to make something within your skill level to take home. Extended classes available.
Duration: 1 day 10.00am - 5pm
Cost: $72 per person, based on minimum 1 persons, maximum 2 persons
Where: Paper Village, Luang Prabang
Includes: Transport, all materials, a piece to take home, English-speaking environment, refreshments and lunch.
Ban Lue - 2 day / 1 night Artisan Village Experience
Summer Special, visit until 30 Sep and save, NOW $100 per person.
- Pick up from your guesthouse in Luang Prabang and transfer to station to take the public minivan to Nongkhiaw, however you will get off at the intersection in Ban Bom, Nambak, you will have instructions in Lao to give to the driver.
- At the intersection to the village you will be met by your host, Mr Somdeth and go to Ban Lue
- Introduction to Ban Leu, the Tai Leu village, and the program and lunch
- Afternoon Natural Dyes Workshop, learn about the cotton process and make your own natural dye, dye threads and a scarf.
- Early evening village walk followed by dinner
- Overnight accommodation in your own traditional Tai Leu house.
- Morning Cotton Weaving Class, learn how cotton is spun and then woven
Bamboo Weaving Class, learn traditional weaving techniques and make a small basket
- Lunch and afternoon return to join bus to Luang Prabang or Nongkhiaw
Duration: 2 days - departs Luang Prabang 8am returns late afternoon on the following day.
Cost: US$120 per person based on minimum 1 person.
For families or larger groups please have us quote.
Where: Nambak District, near Nongkhiaw, approx. 3 hours from Luang Prabang
Includes: Accommodation, English-speaking host, 2 lunches, breakfast and dinner, drinking water, 2 workshops, cotton scarf for dyeing, bus tickets from Luang Prabang and return (or from Luang Prabang and on to Nongkhiaw).
Does not include: Items of a personal nature, tips.
Additional nights and longer workshops available for those who would like to create in this unique village environment.
You can also experience the Natural Dyes Workshop as part of our Nongkhiaw tour package, and you can visit our other tour sites to find our more about the region www.nongkhiawadventure.com and www.bananaboatlaos.com.